Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building TASER devices to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of police records so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As a Senior member of the Video Electrical Engineering team, you will lead and engage in rigorous hands-on design, development, and testing of cutting-edge video product electronics that are integral to Axon Body Worn Cameras, Docks, and accessory devices. Your accumulated technical expertise, engineering process know-how, technology passion, and proven own-it attitude will be critical to successful designs that meet the challenging requirements demanded by our customers. Not only will you own critical electronics designs, but you will interact with connections around the globe to realize truly World-Class products. Additionally, as an electrical engineering expert, your strong technical leadership skills will influence and grow junior engineering talent as you interact with and mentor others within the teams. Get ready to exercise your already strong skillset and learn even more, while helping a passionate team deliver technologies that positively impact Law Enforcement, Public Safety, and their surrounding communities.
What You'll Do
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Reports To: Senior Manager, Electrical Engineering
- Research, propose, and develop industry leading and creative circuit designs for LTE enabled Body Worn Cameras, Networked Docking Stations, and accessory products.
- Use OrCAD Schematic tools, design embedded Mixed-Signal electronic circuits that may integrate application processors, image sensors, high- and low-speed data interfaces (DDR, USB3.x, I2C, SPI), switch-mode and linear power supplies, batteries, audio subsystems, RF transceivers, and discrete digital and analog components.
- Team with PCB engineers to define, plan, implement, and inspect printed circuit board layout designs using Allegro or other layout tools
- Collaborate with cross functional engineering design, technology partners, and manufacturing teams to own electronics development through full product development lifecycles from concept to mass production.
- Perform schematic and layout design inspections to root out defects, improve quality of design releases and product reliability.
- Map out test plans and draft test methods for evaluating designs.
- Bring up, characterize, and debug systems and circuits using lab tools such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, power supplies, etc.
- Assess and document design outcomes, test results, and related information and present information to design teams.
- Evaluate performance of circuits and assess compliance to product and regulatory requirements.
- Optimize performance of electronics design using simulation tools and hands-on measurements
- Develop, evaluate, and finalize Bill of Materials and other design documentation needed for product release.
- Knowledge sharing, mentoring and elevating skills of team members.
What you'll bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or similar engineering discipline
- Minimum 10 years of industry electronics design experience with a major focus on designing high-speed, high-density, portable, battery-powered embedded circuits or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or similar engineering discipline (8+ years industry experience)
- Experience integrating wireless systems such as LTE, WiFi, or Bluetooth/BLE.
- Demonstrated ownership of sub-system electronics design/integration activities and verification testing in several of the following areas: Microcontroller and/or high-speed applications processor, High-speed memory subsystems, Power delivery networks, Audio subsystems, RF subsystem integration (Wifi, BT, LTE), High-speed wired interfaces (USB3.x, MIPI D-PHY, SERDES, Ethernet, etc), complex sensor systems, megapixel image sensors.
- Strong experience with power system definition/design/integration (Switch mode, linear regulators)
- Strong power consumption analysis and system power minimization skills for battery powered applications.
- Exceptional hands-on proficiency with electronics bring-up, characterization, and debug using laboratory tools: Oscilloscope, power supplies, multimeters, custom jigs, etc
- Proficient with high speed signal analysis and verification testing
- Strong schematic design proficiency using Cadence/OrCAD tools, including BOM development.
- Extensive experience using PCB CAD tools, such as Allegro Viewer, to analyze and direct optimizations of high speed PCB designs
- Well versed in engineering processes and expectations in all engineering design phases from concept to mass production release.
- Strong independent contributor capable of developing products within cross-functional and geographically diverse engineering teams
- Experience designing and debugging products to pass regulatory standards (FCC, CE, IEC, etc).
- Solid skills with documentation, analysis, and presentations tools, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or similar engineering discipline (8+ years industry experience)
- Experience designing electronics used in video camera products or cell phones preferred
- Experience with FPGA integration preferred
- Familiar with Linux command line preferred
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work.
The Pay: Axon is a total compensation company, meaning compensation is made up of base pay, bonus, and stock awards. The starting base pay for this role is between USD 90,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 190,000 in the highest geographic market. The on target earnings range for this role is between USD 110,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 250,000 in the highest geographic market. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: level, function, training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, geographic market, and often a combination of all these factors. Our benefits offer an array of options to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. To see more details on our benefits offerings please visit www.axon.com/careers/benefits (http://www.axon.com/careers/benefits).
Don’t meet every single requirement? That's ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
Axon’s mission is to Protect Life and is committed to the well-being and safety of its employees as well as Axon’s impact on the environment. All Axon employees must be aware of and committed to the appropriate environmental, health, and safety regulations, policies, and procedures. Axon employees are empowered to report safety concerns as they arise and activities potentially impacting the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.