5 things we’re excited about in 2021 for Axon VR Training
A couple of years ago, Axon made a big bet on going virtual. The events of 2020, where many aspects of our life shifted online in light of the pandemic, wasn’t quite what we had in mind. Nonetheless, we’ve soldiered on and continued to invest in our VR Training offering, which is about to take off in exciting new ways. Here’s what we’re most looking forward to in the next year.
1. Our new vision. As we move from the early stages of our VR offering to its exciting future, we’ve taken the time to establish some solid principles for what we’re building. It starts with our vision, which, in a nutshell, is to create VR experiences that help officers better forecast mutually-beneficial outcomes. That means everyone feels safe and not violated at the end of an interaction, and an outside witness would say the same. It’s become a meaningful guide as we develop our product roadmap.
We’ve also solidified our content pillars, or the areas where we’re building content. They are: Empathy (which is where our existing three modules fall), Officer Preparedness, Officer Coping, and Tactical. This family of topics will go a long way in supporting agencies with greater community engagement efforts.
2. New content. With our content pillars in place, we’ve got scenarios in the works within each of them. By the end of 2020, we’ll have released modules for Alzheimer’s and Hard of Hearing. In the first quarter of next year, we’ll release two Peer Intervention modules, a Domestic Violence module, and two modules related to Post-Traumatic Stress Injury. We will release new modules on a monthly cadence from then on so that agencies always have fresh content to keep officers informed and engaged. As always, we develop these scenarios in partnership with law enforcement agencies and outside subject matter experts like clinicians and educators. We’ve worked with some outstanding individuals and organizations on some truly eye-opening experiences, and we can’t wait to finish them up and bring them to you.
3. A new platform. The next stage of our VR offering will deployed on a platform provided by HTC, which will unlock a host of new capabilities like the integration of other technologies, and the ability for trainees to physically engage with an experience. What’s not changing is the simple operation and setup, and the immersive, 360 experiences. If you’re a current customer and want to talk about how to upgrade to this new platform, get in touch and we can walk through some options.
4. New programs. We always aim to provide flexible purchase options for agencies looking to adopt Axon technologies, and VR is no exception. We’ll be offering add-on options for agencies already purchasing other technologies, as well as standalone packages for agencies who prefer to go that route. Whatever your preference, we encourage you to talk it over with your Axon point of contact.
5. Future technology integrations. If you know anything about Axon, it’s that we’re always innovating, and that we want all of our technologies to work together. We’re already working on some exciting new developments that will help you use VR alongside other Axon products. We’ll share more details soon, but if you want a sneak peek at what’s in store, let’s talk.
2020 felt pretty unreal most of the time, which is why we’re looking forward to making these advancements a (virtual) reality in 2021. Please get in touch if you want to learn more!