Axon Fleet Security Implementation Details
Axon Fleet is included in Axon's commitment to exceed security expectations of our customers. Below are details regarding how security is implemented in Axon Fleet's communication protocols, Axon View XL and video storage.
Axon Fleet Communication Protocols
View XL (MDT) & Fleet Cameras
- Axon Fleet setup and initial camera instructions: Bluetooth
- Axon Signal activation: Bluetooth
- Video playback, live view, transfer: WPA2 Secure Wi-Fi
- Axon Fleet ongoing camera instructions and management: WPA2 Secure Wi-Fi
Axon Signal Devices & Fleet Cameras
- Axon Signal activation: Bluetooth
View XL (MDT) & Evidence.com (Internet Connectivity in Car deployment models)
- Video transfer and system instructions: WPA2 Secure Wi-Fi and FIPS 140-2 validated Axon Cryptographic Module (cert #2878)
Axon Dock & Evidence.com (No Internet Connectivity in Car deployment models)
- Video transfer and system instructions: FIPS 140-2 validated Axon Cryptographic Module (cert #2878)
Axon Fleet Communication Protocol Security
Axon adhered to Bluetooth Smart implementation guidance when developing Axon Fleet's Bluetooth communications. Additionally, an extra layer of security was implemented by Axon on top of Bluetooth Smart mitigate inherit Bluetooth concerns such as eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks. This extra layer of security introduces a proper key exchange layer using Elliptic curve Diffie–Hellman (ECDH) secure the communication between Axon Fleet cameras and the Axon View XL.
WPA2 Secure Wi-Fi
Axon Fleet is designed to only run on the most secure wireless networks. The Fleet system will only operate on a WPA2 wireless network, specifically WPA2-PSK (AES). Less secure protocols such as WPA2-PSK (TKIP), WPA and WEP do not meet Axon's standards for sufficient protection.
FIPS 140-2 Validated Cryptography for Data In Transit
Axon Fleet leverages the FIPS 140-2 validated Axon Cryptographic Module (cert #2878) to encrypt and secure data in transit to Evidence.com.
Axon View XL Security
- Axon View XL leverages the agency-customizable access control features of Evidence.com.
- View XL only uploads video data to Evidence.com, and cannot be used to access existing evidence data stored on Evidence.com
- Video data stored by Axon View XL on the cache of the MDT is encrypted at rest* and is obfuscated at the file system layer
- Auto-update functionality is available to seamlessly upgrade View XL and Fleet Cameras to ensure up-to date security, system optimizations and availability of all feature upgrades
- Axon View XL only interfaces with and accesses necessary files and services on the MDT; other applications that are storing CJI or other sensitive data are not utilized or accessed by View XL
- Axon personnel or the Evidence.com service do not have access to an agency's MDT device
*encryption at disk level managed by customer agency
Axon Fleet Video Storage Security
Video on Fleet Cameras
- Data encryption at rest: 256 bit AES encryption*
- Camera Hardening and Protections to protect data that resides on its file system from unauthorized retrieval. Additionally, Axon Fleet cameras are physically hardened to the US Military Standard MIL-STD-810G an IP67-rated and are suitable for policing and tactical operations.
*provided as planned system update
Video managed by View XL (MDT)
- Data encryption at rest* and
- Data obfuscation at the file system layer
*encryption at disk level as managed by customer agency
Video on Evidence.com
- Data encryption at rest: 256 bit AES encryption
- CJIS Compliant, NSA Suite B Cryptography