Last Updated 3/22/2021
This Policy applies to the interactions Axon has with you (including when you visit our websites) and the Axon Products and services as referenced in this Policy, as well as other Axon Products, websites, mobile applications or digital assets that display this Policy.
Our privacy practices may vary among the countries in which we operate to reflect local practices and legal requirements. Specific privacy policies may apply to some of our practices, products or services. Please visit the webpage, mobile application, or digital asset of the specific product or service to learn more about our privacy practices in relation to that product or service.
“Axon Cloud Services” means Axon’s web services hosted on evidence.com including Axon Evidence, Axon Records, and Axon Dispatch, and other related offerings, including, without limitation, interactions between Axon Cloud Services and Axon Products (as defined below).
“Axon Products” means:
(1) Axon Cloud Services;
(2) devices sold by Axon (including, without limitation, conducted energy weapons, cameras, sensors, and docking systems) (collectively, “Axon Devices”);
(3) other software offered by Axon (including, without limitation, Axon Capture, Axon Evidence SYNC, Axon Device Manager, Axon View, Axon Interview, Axon Commander, Axon Uploader XT, and Axon View XL) (collectively, “Axon Client Applications”); and
(4) ancillary hardware, equipment, software, services, cloud-based services, documentation, and software maintenance releases and updates. Axon Products do not include any third-party applications, hardware, warranties, or the 'my.evidence.com' services.
“Data Controller” means the natural or legal person, public authority, or any other body which alone or jointly with others determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data (as defined below).
“GDPR” means Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the Processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation).
“Personal Data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
“Processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
“Sensitive Personal Data” means personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, or the processing of genetic data, or biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person's sex life or sexual orientation.
“Supervisory Authority” means an independent public authority which is established by an European Union Member State or the United Kingdom pursuant to the applicable set of privacy laws.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
Axon may collect and process different types of Personal Data in the course of operating our business and providing our products or services, this includes:
- Contact Information and other Identifiers. This includes any information you provide to us that would allow us to contact you such as your name, postal address, email address, social network details, or phone number.
- User Profile and Account data. This includes any information you provide to us when you participate, attend or register for one of our events or promotions; create or update an Axon account; express an interest in, sign-up for or purchase Axon Products or services; or for the administration of Axon Products or services. User Profile and Account data may include, without limitation, your name, email address, phone number, login credentials, postal address, payment or banking information (including payment related verification), order history, preferences or settings that you enable for your account, usage information, whether you have received or opened marketing communication (if your computer supports this type of program), and administrative information associated with your account or profile.
- Transaction data. This includes any information we may collect when you purchase one of our products or services. Transaction data includes, without limitation, account number, the date and the total amount of the transaction, type of product purchased, and other information provided by financial institutions in order to process your transaction.
- Communication data. This includes any information that we collect when you communicate with us, and any other information that you intentionally share or receive when communicating with us. Communication data includes, without limitation, contents of email, SMS, Slack, requests made through automated chatbots or similar technology, calendar invitations, and any other information you choose to share with us, including your photos, videos, and groups with which you are affiliated.
- Support data. This includes any information that we may collect when you contact or engage Axon for support. Support data includes, without limitation, information about hardware or software; details gathered related to the support incident, such as contact authentication information, chat session personalization, information about the condition of the machine, the application where the fault occurred; diagnostic, system and registry information about software installation and hardware configurations; and error tacking files.
- Demographic/Behavioral data. This includes any information that describes your demographic or behavioral characteristics. We may also receive this type of information about you from third parties. Examples include your geographic location (state/zip code) or interests.
- Consumer-generated data. This includes any information you create and then share with us on third-party social networks or by uploading it to one of our websites or apps. Including the use of third-party social network apps such as Facebook or YouTube. Examples include photo, video, personal stories, or other similar media or content.
- ALPR Data. This includes data used to develop our Automated License Plate Recognition (“ALPR”) technology. This is ALPR Data collected by Axon. This is not related to the data of Axon Cloud Services Customers. The function of ALPR is to capture, and store license plate images and use character recognition to identity and store plate characters (“ALPR Data”). The data Axon collects includes license plate image (image may include surrounding areas of the license plate, including vehicle image), license plate number; vehicle type, mounting location of the plate on the vehicle, license plate state, province, or region, as applicable; and date, time, and GPS location of the collection.
- Sensitive Personal Data. We do not seek to collect or otherwise process Sensitive Personal Data in the ordinary course of our business. Where it becomes necessary to process your Sensitive Personal Data for any reason, we rely on your prior express consent, where required by law, for any processing which is voluntary. If we process your Sensitive Personal Data for other purposes, where applicable, we rely on the following legal bases: (i) detection and prevention of crime (including the prevention of fraud); and (ii) compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Axon receives and stores certain types of information whenever you interact with us via Axon websites. Axon automatically receives and records certain "traffic data" on our server logs including your IP address, Axon cookie information, the page you requested, and your communications and interactions with other users. Axon uses this traffic data to help diagnose problems with its server, analyze trends and administer our websites.
Axon automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to Axon websites and use of components of these websites. Axon may use this information to provide research, advice and information, including, without limitation, for benchmarking purposes (e.g. we may publish an industry white paper that uses information collected through the use of these websites). This information is typically used in the aggregate. This type of collective information also enables us to figure out how often customers use parts of the websites so we can make them appealing to as many customers as possible. In addition, we may provide statistical information to our partners about how our customers, collectively, use these websites. We may share this type of statistical information so that our partners also understand how often people use areas of these websites, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal experience. We also collect and use information for internal purposes as described in the section below “How Your Personal Data is Used”.
Many companies offer programs that help you to visit websites anonymously. While Axon will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these programs are available.
Information from Other Sources
For purposes such as improving personalization of the Axon Products or services offered to you, Axon may receive information about you from other sources.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS USED
Axon may use your Personal Data for the purposes in which we provide a specific notice at the time of collection or for the following purposes:
- to create and manage your account, verify your identity where required, and respond to your inquires;
- to manage our relationship with you which will include sending administrative information to you, such as information regarding changes to our terms & conditions, and polices;
- to enable you to purchase products or services including processing your transaction, communicate with you regarding your purchase and provide you with related customer service;
- to provide our products or services, which includes updating, securing, and troubleshooting as well as providing support. It also includes sharing information, when it is required in order to provide a product, service or carry out the transaction you request;
- to learn more about you, including your preferences or other characteristics, so that we may personalize our products, services or make recommendations. We treat inferences as Personal Data where required under applicable laws and regulations;
- to market our products or services to you and track the effectiveness of our advertisements. This may include sending promotional communication, targeted advertisements, or presenting you with relevant offers. Please know we may contact you for marketing purposes, unless you have told us not to contact you for these purposes or we have not obtained your consent when required by law;
- to provide, administer and communicate with you about surveys, contests, conferences, or similar promotions or events. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Data. We suggest that you read those rules carefully at the time of data collection;
- to operate, evaluate, and improve our business, including analytics;
- to use ALPR Data to develop Axon’s ALPR technology.
- to comply with applicable laws and regulations, including laws outside your country of residence. This may include satisfying tax or reporting obligations, or to comply with a lawful governmental request;
- to enforce our policies, terms & conditions, or as necessary to establish, exercise and defend legal rights;
- to protect against and prevent security threats, fraud, and other legal or information security risks; and
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety, security, property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
If you are an individual in the European Economic Area, including United Kingdom (“EEA”), or Switzerland, our legal basis for the collection and processing of your Personal Data is as follows:
- contractual obligations to facilitate and process transactions that take place when you interact with Axon, such as when you register for an event or make a purchase;
- consent, where applicable and required by law; and
- legitimate interest to: provide and support the delivery of our products or services; foster relationship/networking with customers; grow Axon’s business; ensure you are not omitted from receiving information about products, promotions or events you may have an interest in; investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud, or other malicious activity; enforce & protect the rights and properties of Axon or its affiliates; protect the rights and personal safety of Axon employees and third parties on or using Axon websites
- for the purposes which may be required by applicable laws and regulations.
Information about Axon customers is an integral part of our business. Axon neither rents nor sells your Personal Data to anyone except as described in this Policy. We share your Personal Data only with entities that control or are controlled by or under common control of Axon, and as described below:
(A) Affiliated Businesses Axon Does Not Control or Event Sponsors
Axon is affiliated or partnered with a variety of businesses and works closely with them. In certain situations, these businesses operate within the Axon websites. In other situations, Axon markets or sells products or services jointly with affiliated businesses. Also, some of our events are sponsored. Axon may provide an attendee list to sponsors, co-sponsors and exhibitors of our events.
If you do not wish to have your Personal Data shared with affiliated businesses; or have it included in an attendee list, receive information from sponsors, co-sponsors, or exhibitors, you can express your opt-out preferences when you register for an event or by emailing email@example.com.
Axon employs other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and may need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Examples may include removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing information, providing marketing assistance, and providing customer service. Axon may also provide your Personal Data to agents who will use it to verify aggregate usage information that we provide to our partners. In all cases where we share your information with such agents, we explicitly require the agent to adhere to this Policy. Additionally, when Axon wishes to transfer this information to a third-party acting as an agent, it will only do so if the third-party agent enters into a written non-disclosure agreement.
(C) Promotional Offers
Axon may send offers to certain customers on behalf of other businesses with whom Axon has a partnership. If you are a user of the Axon websites and do not wish to receive these offers, please request to unsubscribe through the opt-out option in the offer or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(D) With Your Consent
Except as described in this Policy, Axon will not share the Personal Data you provide to Axon with third parties without your permission, unless to: (i) respond to duly authorized information requests of police and governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena, or court order; (iii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud, or other malicious activity; (iv) enforce/protect the rights and properties of Axon or its subsidiaries; or (v) protect the rights and personal safety of Axon employees and third parties using Axon Products.
Axon has its headquarters in the United States. Information we collect from you will be processed in the United States. Your Personal Data may also be transferred to other Axon companies, branches and service providers, including outside the EEA and Switzerland, and will be stored and processed manually and electronically through global systems and tools for the purposes described in the above section “How Your Personal Data is Used.” Axon has appropriate safeguards in place to protect your Personal Data.
International transfers of Personal Data collected in the EEA and Switzerland is governed, where applicable, by the Standard Contractual Clauses or another appropriate safeguard.
If you are an individual in the EEA or Switzerland, to obtain a copy of the safeguard describing how your Personal Data is protected, please contact us using the information in the Contact Us section below.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
Axon will only retain Personal Data for as long as needed for the specific purpose in which it was obtained, or as otherwise required by applicable laws or regulations. For more information on where and how long your Personal Data is stored, please contact us at email@example.com.
KEEPING PERSONAL DATA SECURE
Axon is committed to help protect the security of your Personal Data. Axon has established and implemented policies, programs and procedures that are commercially reasonable and in compliance with applicable industry practices, including administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the confidentiality, integrity and security of Personal Data against unauthorized access, use, modification, disclosure and other misuse.
Axon will take appropriate steps to ensure compliance with the data security measures by its employees, contractors and Agents, to the extent applicable to the respective scope of performance.
As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:
- Access and obtain a copy of your Personal Data on request;
- Require Axon to change incorrect or incomplete Personal Data;
- Require Axon to delete or stop processing your Personal Data, for example where the Personal Data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing;
- Object to the processing of your Personal Data where Axon is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing; and
- Withdraw your consent in circumstances where consent is the legal basis for processing.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights or have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are located in the European Economic Area and you believe that Axon has not complied with your data protection rights, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the European Union (or European Economic Area) state where you work, normally live or where any alleged infringement of data protection laws occurred. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner (“ICO”). Contact details for the ICO can be found at https://ico.org.uk/.
IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PROVIDE PERSONAL DATA
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide Personal Data to Axon. However, if you fail to provide Personal Data when requested, which is necessary for us to provide a product or service to you, we may not be able to complete your request. For example, without your name or email, we will not be able to register you for a conference.
CHILDREN'S ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT
Axon takes seriously its obligations under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act concerning the collection of Personal Data from individuals under the age of 13. The Axon websites are not directed at children, as Axon requests that children under the age of 13 not provide Personal Data through the Axon websites.
The Axon websites may permit you to link to other websites on the Internet, and other websites may contain links to the Axon websites. Those other websites are not under Axon’s control, and such links do not constitute an endorsement by Axon of those other websites, or the services offered through them. The privacy and security practices of websites linked to or from the Axon websites are not covered by this Policy, and Axon is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of those websites.
Axon may also provide social media features that enable you to share information with your social networks and to interact with Axon on various social media sites. Your use of these features may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on the feature. Axon encourages you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media sites with which you interact to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used and shared by those sites.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
The "help" portion of the toolbar on the majority of browsers will direct you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to command the browser to tell you when you receive a new cookie, or how to fully disable cookies. Leaving cookies activated will enable you to take advantage of some of Axon’s most attractive features. To view more information regarding cookie settings please visit:
The following list depicts what types of cookies and similar technologies Axon may use on its websites:
- Necessary. Necessary cookies and similar technologies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies and similar technologies.
- Preference. Preference cookies and similar technologies enable a website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like your preferred language or the region that you are in.
- Analytic. Analytic cookies and similar technologies help website owners to understand how visitors interact with websites by collecting and reporting information.
- Marketing. Marketing cookies and similar technologies are used to track your online activity. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user.
Axon uses the Google Marketing Platform. For more detailed information on how Google uses your information, please see here.
- Google Analytics Demographic and Interest Reporting. Axon receives Demographic and Interest Reports from Google, which include aggregated, non-personally identifiable information about our website traffic (visitors’ age, gender, and interests). The reports let Axon see how many of our users visit over a date range, who those users are, and how their behavior varies by attribute (e.g., male vs. female). Information regarding these reports is derived by Google from the Search Ads 360 third-party cookies. This information will not be used by Axon for any purpose other than those set out in this Policy.
- Google Ads Remarketing. Axon has implemented Remarketing with Google Analytics to help personalize its advertising efforts online. Such analytics allow third-party vendors, including Google, to show personalized ads on sites across the internet. Axon and third-party vendors, including Google, use first and third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on a visitor’s past visits on any Axon website. In other words, Google Ads remarketing will display relevant ads tailored to you based on what parts of the Axon websites you have viewed, by placing a cookie on your machine. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer. Google Ads remarketing allows us to tailor our marketing to better suit your needs and deliver a more personalized experience by only displaying ads that are relevant to your specific interests.
- Access to and Accuracy of Personal Data Collected by Google Analytics. Google Analytics gathers information based on an individual user’s activities on Google websites and other websites within their network. Google then determines the age, gender, and interests of the user. In order to review and edit this Personal Data, please visit Google's ads settings page.
- Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-On. In order to prevent data collected by Google Analytics, users can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on. Please visit this support article to disable Google Analytics. It is important to remember that many of Google’s services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
CONDITIONS OF USE
If you decide to visit Axon websites or apps, your visit and any possible dispute over privacy, unless otherwise stated, is subject to this Policy, arbitration of disputes, and Arizona law.
Axon takes privacy seriously. Complaints surrounding this Policy can be directed to your local Axon representative or email@example.com. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the privacy and security of your Personal Data, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.